Monday, May 26, 2008

Trees.

"Man, I love the smell of Michigan." "Thanks for reminding me."

We take on the Paw Paw river one stroke at a time. Wrestling branches, going over, under, and around trees, being sucked alive by skeeters, but always with a smile on my face. I make Joey, his expertise, long, thin boat, and muscular self take the lead. I try my best and he is impressed by my giggles and consistant smile through all my struggles. This is just what I need. I look around, smell the air, and feel completely content. I wanted to see trees and water on this trip and Joey made it happen. His presence is absolutely appreciated, and I find myself wondering why this is the first time we've spent enjoying each others company. Strangely enough this entire trip has been full of that... seeing people I normally would not have.

--------
My emotions are in a whirl. I feel tied down, stuck, lonely. But these emotions only surface when I'm away. Overwhelmed by seeing people and then leaving, when that's all I've done for the last 7 months. Maybe the difference now is I'm no longer on the move. I'm tired and worn, full of positive energy and tears, confused and worried I've chosen the wrong path, but too tired and broke to run. Friday in a drunken state I found myself crying, wanting to go home, to Boise, that was my safe haven. So maybe it's the excitement of Michigan that confuses me. Or maybe it's wanting what is just out of reach.

--------
It's the wind through the trees, the smell of moisture, green everywhere surrounded by water everywhere. It's a connection to my roots that will forever be a part of me. But now I must reach my branches, share my leaves.

No comments: