Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Headed elsewhere

Getting ready to head off again. No destination, just a journey. People look at me strange when I say I'll be gone between a week and forever, so I've started saying I'm moving to Boston. Caroline doesn't even live in Boston and I've never been, but according to many I belong there (?). People ask how I can afford it. And for that I suppose I'm lucky. I don't see a necessity for surplus, I can make a little go a long way, and when I need it, I'll find it. I feel like Mexico was just a training, preparing me for traveling alone, sleeping on floors, being broke, finding beauty and pleasure in simplicity. But this time it's just me. No one to tell me where I'm sleeping, what I'm eating, or what tomorrow may bring. My traveling soul mate is wondering through a city I once found forever in, with a bar in which we slept on the floor, with a school where dreamy instructors distracted me from a language I thought I'd learn.

So I wonder. How to be whole without my Andrea and how long I'll last without Raul's guacamole. One day at a time. I feel drawn all over: South, North, East (not west for awhile-I promised Misty August). Connections to everywhere, meanwhile knowing that through solitary exploring I will learn myself.

To be alone. To truly be alone is something I have yet to experience, but am interested in what will surface and excited at the vast array of endless possibilities.

No comments: