Friday, November 2, 2007

Day 52: Halloween on the farm

Location: Atlixco, Puebla

After the cab dropped us off on the side of the highway, we patiently waited for our ride. The four of us (Andrea, Johanna, Aliisa, & I) stood there, chilled, and excited, with unknown expectations. We were headed to the farm Amolia had worked at over the summer to drink honey wine, I knew nothing more. We stood there waiting for Kumara, Amolia had described her as a woman with glowing rays of light shooting out of her, holding a baby, and driving jeep. She was right. Kumara was beautiful, with buzzed silver-blonde hair, singing to her child, to the world, with an aura so magnificent and calm. She radiated balance.

We arrived at the farm around 8:30 and layed under the stars as we waited for the others. The night was young as the chill sent us under our covers. We slept in a hexagon shaped building with 12 beds coming out from the walls like rays of sunshine. In the middle, an array of candles and flowers.

The next morning we arose to watch the sun rise reflect on the volcano. It was my first real view of the farm and of the countryside that surrounded us. The smoke crawled slowly out of the volcano as if to match the pace of my brain. I went back into the hexagon to find warmth and await the sound that meant time for a new day to begin.

The morning comenced with simple yoga stretches and movements, reminding me the importance of breath, of finding balance and renewing my connection to the earth. We also found a connection to the music and to each other with a couple simple dances that reminded me of folk dancing at camp, making a complete circle and linking me to my roots.

The farm was small and felt more like a yoga retreat. It was surrounded with natural beauty. Projects included working on the dirt/sand foundation for a sweat lodge, pulling weeds while singing songs, and shaking lettuce seeds out of their plant. Meals and cleaning were of course done through cooperation.

Before dinner we felt halloween in our blood, so we did the best we could with what we had available. I, of course, was a Princess. I made a crown from pretty weeds, my sarong, and a flower for decoration. There was also a traveler, french artist, and a medley of women with mustaches, and men in skirts among us.

After dinner we headed to the village, on the way we hitched a ride on the back of a horse pulled wagon. We used internet in the nearby village of Atlixco and wandered back to the farm. The night continued with singling and playing song in the hexagon, Andru Bemis sing alongs, sharing stories, and drinking tequila and wine. Amolia's wine gave me a warmth that reminded me of cold Michigan nights.

The whole experience, merely 2 nights and 1 day, was absolutely wonderful, unfortunately I spent so much time on projects, I did not take enough time to really take it all in. But it definately gave me a reminder of my need for nature, and a realization of the concrete in which I have thus far been surrounded. I can only imagine the balance and kindness that would arise if we were surrounded by nature for all our days. A dream or a possibility...

The next morning three of the eight of us left for Oaxaca with soar bodies from the manual labor. The rest stayed to take in more of the beauty. Why didn't I stay? It's simple really: I must find the ocean before my money runs out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.