Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Day 78: Clouds across borders

Chiapas has clouds like I've never seen before and everytime I think back to my time in Chiapas, I will see the clouds.

We drive through the winding hills as the clouds mingle with the mountain tops. Perfectly thick. I peer out the window and down into the valley (or is it a river) as the fog settles inbetween the mountainous structures and living shrubbery. A perfect earthly balance. The sun has just set and I wonder why I have spent so much time in the cities, knowing what lies outside the concrete parks, the women selling cloth, the children selling cigarettes. It is so deliciously beautiful. By the time we get a flat tire the clouds have covered the sky, light from the sun is obsolete. We spend the night in a room with 2 beds and a concrete floor on the border. In the morning we head into Guatemala and as we drive through the villages upon a dirt road for 4 hours, I am once again amazed by the clouds. However, this time something else takes my breath: the overgrowth of diversity. And it's everywhere. No order, no control. Just plush green beauty.

Times like this I wish i had the skills of a true writer, to express my feelings, my view into words, to take the breathlessness, the overwhelming joy, the glow from my soul, my eyes, and reproduce it on paper. But clouds like these, and diversity through growth, and crowded guatemalan buses are meant to be experienced.

No comments: