Saturday, December 1, 2007

Day 83:Guatemala

10 days left and I feel a strange inability to write. A mixture of proximity to leaving, and lacking the energy Mexico radiates. For the first time in 3 months I feel like a tourist, checking out the sites, paying for a bed, talking only to other travelers. I love to learn new places but now understand why Mexico holds such a special place in peoples hearts. However, Guatemala holds unique beauty of its own.

Covered in jungle, rain forest, delicious green beauty, whether on foot, boat, van, or bus, I find myself always peering with a strange glow in my eye. I yearn to trek through the intense green that covers every mountain we weave through and when I find myself actually surrounded I wonder if it's really make believe.

We've spent over 3 days in Livingston, located on the Guatemalan border with the Caribbean sea, between Honduras and Belize. A village with a mixture of 4 different cultures, tourism on the main strip, and beautiful community through the remaining space.

No comments: