Thursday, March 6, 2008

Isla de Ometepe, Day 1

Leaving San Juan via collective (shared cab), 20 minutes and 2 flat tires later we find ourselves on the side of the road hoping. As the canadian with a braided tail and buzzed/bald head in the red truck slows down, we jump in and head to San Jorge for the ferry to Isla de Ometepe. Direct ride, $0! Sweet.

It takes about an hour, small and rocking. I hear Marshalls words in my head, something about how to stand, something about a horizon. I do my best and make it, wishing I had requested more details regarding Ferry rides. We arrive to the Island and have no plan, merely boarded the ferry because people said, yea, the Island´s beautiful. So we jump on a bus, and then later jump off of it, in what appears to be a strange nothing village.

In the small tourist office, big enough for 8 bikes, a map of the island, and strangely enough a subway map of NYC, a kind young man explains the many reasons why we should stay in the village, and then, oh and by the way, my dad owns a hostel, I´ll take you there. Want to climb the volcano? Oh, we have a guide! Smart family.

No comments: