Wednesday, March 5, 2008

San Juan del Sur

We left Tola. We bid Mom and Dad a somewhat emotional farewell with promises to keep in touch. Such amazing, beautiful people. I understood very little of what they said, I suppose language barriers can do that. But it didn´t matter, their beauty shone through their smiles and generosity. Along with their daughter Kayla, they found they could communicate with me as though I was deaf, with high fives, pointing, and other motions. It was very funny and they NEVER stopped feeding us.

So we left for San Juan del Sur, a once fishing village, now a tourist surf haven and fishing village. Wierd. We don´t fit in at tourist destinations. For one, we don´t have much money, so we wander a lot, eat ice cream, and sit in internet cafes while others plan sea turtle expeditions, talk in surfer accents with their giant boards, and drink. We read outload on a breezy balcony outside of a (free! did I mention I love couch surfing?) stuffy room, and go to bed early. We spend the morning drinking coffee, watching birds, and preparing for our next adventure: Isla de Ometepe.

No comments: