Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Day 29: A bed at last

We spent the last 2 night sleeping at the bar. Now as we sit in Yarows tiny room with a bed it really hits me how much I've missed the comfort of having a bed, a room, a place to relax whenever my heart desires. This culture does not pride itself on alone time, privacy, or any of those things I have come accustomed to. I am getting used to it. But living in a bar the last couple of days has been rough. However, knowing that there are people like Yarows, people that are so generous and fun and unique and selfless, has been beautiful.

Days like yesterday, where my stomach is churning inside of me, makes me miss the ability to lay in bed and sip tea, to be surrounded by cleanliness, to take deep breaths and not smell smoke and stale beer. But more than that, it makes me realize how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends who are now my family, and reminds me of how generous and caring the people in this beautiful country are. It also remind me to take better care of myself.

No comments: