Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 45: Santa Rosa

I awake to the sound of wind shaking the windows so hard I feel they may burst. I look out the window and realize this is the first time I've had a window in a long while. The view from the floor mattress is perfect: a single tree blowing in the wind with a perfect blue sky backdrop. As I stand to peer out the window, my body shakes from the cold, but the view is worth it: cabanas, green hills, and in the valley, the puebla of Santa Rosa, located 2800 meters in elevation and 15 km from Guanajuato.

For the last 45 days (with one exception) I have been surrounded by concrete, the parks in these cities rarely have grass, when they do it is not permitted to be near them. I have been craving nature for a long while. Whenever I feel unbalanced, overwhelmed, lonely, etc, I have an urgency for nature...

So, when opportunity to go to the hills arrived, I didn't think twice. What started as an evening of pasta, vino, and talking near the fire in the countryside tuned into skipping a day of school (such a rebel) to soak in the sunshine, take deep breaths in the brisk wind, and appreciate the beauty that surrounded me. I feel centered and whole again. Being alone and traveling is a rewarding experience, but I am reminded once again of the importance of nature, balance, interaction, and good home cooking.

No comments: